Monday, April 12, 2010

Flip-Flops, Flat Shoes Relieve Arthritic Knees

Clogs, Stability Shoes Put More Stress on Knees Than Flat, Flexible Shoes and Flip-Flops, Study Finds
By Kathleen Doheny
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Laura J. Martin, MDMarch 29, 2010 -- If you have knee pain from arthritis, wearing flat, flexible shoes may reduce the stress on your joints and keep you more comfortable, according to new research.

In a comparison study that evaluated the force or "load" on arthritic knees while wearing clogs, athletic shoes with stability features, flat walking shoes, flip-flops, and going barefoot, the flat and flexible shoes won out, says study lead author Najia Shakoor, MD, an associate professor of internal medicine at Rush Medical College and an attending physician at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.

Her study is published online in Arthritis Care & Research.

''We know barefoot is good for your knee load from previous studies," Shakoor tells WebMD. ''Then we thought, do different shoes have different effects on the knee?" So they compared the four shoe types with going barefoot.

The surprise? "The shoes that we intuitively recommend to our patients [with knee arthritis] and thought might be best -- stability shoes and clogs -- were associated with the highest load."
by-http://arthritis.webmd.com/news/20100329/flip-flops-flat-shoes-best-for-arthritic-knees
I thought this article was really interesting because I had previously been told that flip flops were bad for your feet, I guess you were wrong Grandma

3 comments:

  1. I would definitely believe this study. I have had knee problem's for years I tore my meniscus when I played field hockey. I am one that loves my stiletto's but always after a long day of walking in them my knees are killing me vs. wearing comfy flip flop's all day. I always thought my knee's hurt because I don't walk straight and usually walk on the outside of my feet...but maybe my stiletto's can be the real culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our bodies are made to function better bare foot because that's how we were born. Flip-flops are the closest thing to walking with No shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would never have thought this. if i wear flip flops for too long my arches start to hurt. maybe im just a rare case. ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete