Friday, April 23, 2010

Caffeine's effect on ADHD

The authors of this article are cautiosly optimistic that a regiment of structured caffeine consumption may aid in the fight against adult and jeuvenile ADHD. This is good thing as caffeine does not have the same psychoactive side effect of traditional ADHD medication such as Ritalin or Adderal. While more research is needed before and conclusive results can be garnered, initial lab tests point towards a positive outcome for the 'alternate' treatment. Read full article at http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/caffeines-effect-on-adhd-symptoms/

4 comments:

  1. I know many people on adhd medicine. My friend on Adderal is out of control. She has groped her female roommates, cleaned until she broke dishes, she yells and sings very random songs, and the worse part is she doesn't know she does these things. Her boyfriend has told me worse things she has done. One person who is completely normal but when she takes Adderal at night turns crazy, now there is someone wrong with that. If caffeine can be just as affective as Adderal and Ritalin then this could be a better solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jrzgurl your friend should get off Aderol, I have ADHD they had me on that as a kid it was terrible. tell her to ask her doctor about Ritalin, Focalin, Concerta or Vyanse as these are far better medications. Also Caffine works great it's just that you only really get a Max 4 hour effect, with is very short term

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that this has been my favorite post so far. I was diagnosed at an early age with ADHD. It has been my biggest lifelong obstacle to overcome. Ever since I have taken up coffee drinking in my adult life, and more recently on occasion, redbull, I have told people that I feel a much greater ability to concentrate after consuming beverages that contains caffeine. People would tell me I'm crazy to think that something that makes most people hyper and jittery could actually make me focus. I am very excited to learn more as studies are done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew this stuff would be addictive. I have a girl that i used to work with who is always taking adderol for her "issues" but to me I think she is just using it for the high. She is acting more wacky on the medication than she is off.

    ReplyDelete