Monday, May 3, 2010

Interaction With Nature Beneficial To Mental Health

http://www.livescience.com/health/nature-mental-health-100502.html

After 10 studies, totaling at 1,252 people, researchers have found that a five minute dose of outdoor activity boosts self-esteem. Such activities include walking, gardening, cycling, fishing boating, horse-back riding, and farming. Humans need outdoor activity for a relaxing, down time for the brain. Areas such as parks in urban areas can satisfy one's deep seated need for nature, but green areas with water do the best. The test was more effective on the young or people who are mentally ill, though all people do benefit. Researchers also say that humans should indulge in playing more often.

1 comment:

  1. This was very interesting, I think people also do this without even the realization of it. I know whenever I am feeling down or angry, I have a tendency to go for a walk or a run either at the beach, or on a trail in the woods over at winding river. Without even realizing it I seem to start feeling better. I never thought it was actually just the nature around me that would calm me down and make me feel better

    ReplyDelete