Thursday, February 4, 2010

Gene Linked To Anxious Behavior In Mice

To say that anxiety in a mouse is similar to anxiety in a person seems hard to believe. But researchers at the Rockefeller University show that mice missing a particular gene (Lynx2) have a big increase in symptomatic behaviors. This gene alters the way brain cells communicate and is the similar process in humans with anxiety disorder.

In the experiment the mice (lacking Lynx2) spent less time in bright spaces, were jittery, were slow to explore new places and would isolate themselves in a empty cage; rather then socialize wit a companion next door. The researchers show mice lacking the Lynx2 gene that causes anixous behavior, which humans share, may play a role in human anxiety.

I enjoyed this articile very much. It delites me to think that mice and humans brains aren't so different from another. Lacking the gene that causes anxiety is one similarty between us. It just shows me that we are all in a way alike.

Gene Linked to Anxious Behavior in Mice

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting topic that i myself might have enjoyed reading. I love to read about animals that relate to humans in some way becuase it teaches me about myself and how I function sometimes. It is amazing how we, (living creatures), all really do relate in one specific way or another.

    ReplyDelete