Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bad news for mosquitoes: Yale study may lead to better traps, repellents


Yale University researchers have found more than two dozen scent receptors in malaria-transmitting mosquitoes that detect human sweat. This is a finding that may help scientists to develop new ways to combat a disease that kills 1 million people annually.
These olfactory receptors in the mosquito Anopheles gambiae offer scientists potential new targets for repelling, confusing or attracting into traps the mosquitoes that spread a disease. "Mosquitoes find us through their sense of smell, but we know very little about how they do this," Carlson said. Carlson says that more knowledge about mosquito behavior and odor reception will help develop more effective traps and repellents.
I think this is really interesting because I hate mosquitos and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way I do. They are extremely annoying espescially in the summer during a party and all those traps you spend your money on to make them go away, never work. If one person just came out with an amazing trap that would keep all those bugs away, I think everyone would enjoy their lives a little better.

6 comments:

  1. Thank Goodness! is the first thing I have to say about this article. I personally(and I'm sure like many others) can't stand mosquitos. I live right near a water basin and a set of woods, and it is the worst area because the mosquitos are EVERYWHERE. I hope they are able to find something soon to repel these insects and keep them from continuously biting my skin during the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree a hundred percent! Mosquitoes can make someone's summer a hell! I hate them and cannot wait for the new repellents reach the stores. Hopefully, they will work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally something is being done to help the mosquito problem. I found it very intereting that mosquitos can actually track humans from their sense of smell. Hopefully this new discovery will help put an end to those disease spreading insects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting. Hopefully it will work, because mosquitos are such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mandy, of course you would mention something about partying. =]

    This article is definitely a good scientific breakthrough. I feel the same way as you about mosquitoes. I only wish that I was the person who discovered this so I can have a monopoly on the repellent product. Great article.

    ReplyDelete