Saturday, July 16, 2011

"U.S. hospital work prepares military docs for battlefield injuries"



According to CNN Health, a trauma center in Baltimore, MD treats dozens of trauma patients everyday. Along with the trauma patients and doctors, members of the US Air Force are also present in the hospital. Major John Renshaw will be deploying front line, to the fields in Afghanistan to treat the wounded. Him, along with other military medical personnel, are finishing a tour of duty at Baltimore's trauma center before they deploy in order to sharpen "their ability to deal with critical trauma patients."

Colonel David Powers says, "The injuries that I have treated here, that I see here at this hospital, are the closest thing to the injuries I saw in Iraq, that I have experienced in the continental U.S.,” Powers says. “I got an individual who has now been involved in a motor vehicle accident that has intracranial injuries where I have to recreate the cranial vault and the frontal sinus exactly like I have to do with an IED blast."

The other military personnel say that the things they are learning in this trauma center are going to help them to treat gunshot wounds and traumatic brain injuries that they expect to see once they are deployed.

I decided to post about this article because military in the US has always fascinated me. I think these people are not only doing great things by going over seas and fighting for our country and our freedom but they are also saving lives in the process. Programs like these work with the military in order to increase their knowledge and make our military even stronger. Practicing medicine in our country is helping people enough but to bring it over seas and help to save member of our own military is inspiring.

1 comment: