Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Cost of Being on Your Toes

http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=012710-3

An interesting article explaining how it takes 53 percent more energy to walk on the balls of your feet, and 83 percent more energy to walk on your toes, compared to how we walk heel first, then roll to the toe. The rest goes into explaining how humans are excelent walkers, but poor runners when it comes to wasted energy, then alot of speculation arguing both why we have this motion and why it hasn't been adapted by many other species.

I kind of figured i took less energy to walk than run, and now there's an article to put statistics verifying my hypothesis. interesting, none the less...

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of humans being more efficient walkers than runners. It's almost like our intelectual development allowed us to scale back our physical development. Why run from a saber tooth tiger when you can just outsmart it? I dig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of our class discussion today. How certain animals run; what foot position goes ahead of which. Only this is with humans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I wonder how much energy it takes me to walk around considering that I practically walk in heals all the time. I quess next time I go out ill reconsider to reserve some energy.

    ReplyDelete