Sunday, May 8, 2011

Genetics May Personalize Quit-Smoking Methods

Cigarette smoking seems to be one of the hardest bad habits to kick. No worries, there may be help on the way... in the form of genetic profiling. New studies have shown that a genetic profile coupled with your nicotine dependency level can map out the most effective way to quit. Researchers studied genetic blood markers of the people in the study. They combined those findings with their level of nicotine dependency to conclude what available treatment those individuals should use to quit.

As a person who has seen nearly every member of his family addicted to smoking cigarettes, this is something that hits close to home. My father has been a two-pack-a-day smoker for the better part of 30 years. My brother, despite constant warning from both my parents and myself, has succumbed to cigarette addiction. These guys are legitimate chain smokers. I fear that they will one day be the guy with throat and/or lung cancer that can't even speak properly. I wish I could convince both of them to take part in a study like this. Although, I doubt that either of them would be willing at this point in their lives. I have seen both of them try to quit cold turkey, chewing the gum, using the patch, and my Dad even looked into a hypnotist. After all of his failed attempts to quit, I don't foresee my Dad committing to a study that he would view as nothing more than a Hail Mary pass. After all, quitting is difficult.

3 comments:

  1. I also come from a family of smokers. My mother and father have been smoking for as long as I can remember. Luckily, my siblings and I have not picked up the habit, but I fear for my parents' health every day. They have tried everything to quit and they always go back to them. It'd be great if they could partake in this study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also came from a family of smokers. My father passed away from lung cancer three years ago. I do think genetics can play a part in which a person is predispositioned to have an addictive personality. With that specific gene no matter what the addiction is, the person may have a hard time overcoming it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also come from a family of smokers. But my mother quit probably over 3 years ago which is awesome. But I don't see it happening for my father any time soon.
    And I hope this study is everything they expect or even more. Because smoking is really a scary problem. And it is the most preventable cause of death.

    ReplyDelete