Friday, October 23, 2009

A cure for alcoholism???

A pill called 'Topiramate' has been found to be effective when treating alcoholism. It is meant to be a "therapeutic medication for decreasing heavy drinking and diminishing the physical and psychosocial harm caused by alcohol dependence." The article goes on to explain that this drug works by blocking how much 'feel good effects' are felt by the person. By making drinking a less enjoyable experience than it used to be for the person. I found this interesting because I have never heard of this drug, even though this article was published almost a year ago. I had heard about cigarette pills that can help to stop people from smoking, but not one for alcohol. What most people don't realize is that alcohol is, in fact a drug. A lot of people my age just go out and 'party' with out having a second thought about the negatives of drinking so heavily.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/1110-pill_to_fight_alcoholism.htm

1 comment:

  1. I found this article very interesting. It hit me personally because the disease of alcoholism runs in my family and we are currently trying to help my cusion beat alchoholism, she currently is in detox and waiting to be transferred to rehab. We have been watching her throw her life away for the past year. I also have heard about the pills that help people quit smoking ciggerettes, but haven't heard about this either.

    ReplyDelete