Saturday, July 11, 2015

Is Everyone at Risk?

After reviewing a years’ worth of studies, the Federal Drug Administrator (FDA) came to the conclusion that the risks of heart failure of Nonaspirin Nonsteroidal Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) are much higher than first claimed. Although, when the over the counter drugs were first put on the shelves they all have a warning label. Each bottle had the same label, “cause an increased risk of heart failure. Although these labels were available and publicized the consumer, the study showed that “relative risk increased by 10 percent to 50 percent depending on the drugs and the doses considered.” The FDA will still continue to publicize their warnings, and possibly have a change in doses for the consumer.

NSAIDS are used to relieve pain, fever and higher doses could be used for arthritis. I take NSAIDS for chronic back pain and I didn't realize that I’m putting myself at risk for heart failure. I’m trying to alleviate one issue in my body and I’m putting another body part at risk. 


http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/10/us/fda-is-set-to-toughen-nonaspirin-warnings.html?ref=health&_r=0 


1 comment:

  1. I find it very interesting to see that when you take the drug to relieve pain or get rid of a fever, it actually increases the risk of heart failure. We need to read labels more carefully because it's us that is putting ourselves at risk, not the manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete